Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Service

There is a growing trend among our generation of believers. One that is purposeful and shows the true beauty of Christ. Serving our poor, our weak, our oppressed and marginalized. This work is the kingdom of God here on earth. It's Gods dream for not just America but the whole world. I see daily examples of servant leadership among my friends. The hard part of this work is when we start to see these people we are helping not as a project, but as a human.

A human who is flawed. One that might not live up to your expectations. When their gratefulness is not great enough. When they start to expect it from you. When they don't behave in the way that fits your mold. These are the times that we tend to just give up. To walk away and say, "well I tried my hardest but they just don't want it bad enough."

Did Jesus ever walk away because you didn't want it bad enough? I struggle with this on a daily basis. Serving God and setting down my ego. We are not in the business of changing hearts or minds. That is the business of our Savior. So lets see our business for what it is. Serving others and showing Christ's love as it has been shown to us.

Jesus illustrates us and his kingdom in the parable of the sower.

Listen then to what the parable of the sower means: When anyone hears the message about the kingdom and does not understand it, the evil one comes and snatches away what was sown in their heart. This is the seed sown along the path. Matthew 13:19

In what ways do we not understand the kingdom? Do we take scripture and twist it to fit our ideas of what our world should look like? Do we want to live a life of selfish desire instead of a life filled with God?

The seed falling on rocky ground refers to someone who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since they have no root, they last only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, they quickly fall away. Matthew 13:20

This is my struggle. I am filled with joy and receive the word, but in times of trouble I fall away. When it gets hard I rely on my own self rather than Jesus. Selfishness rears its ugly head and I don't want to move forward loving others. I want only to love myself. What is the root of my existence? Will I choose to be rooted in Christ or have no roots at all?

The seed falling among the thorns refers to someone who hears the word, but the worries of this life and the deceitfulness of wealth choke the word, making it unfruitful. Matthew 13:22

Living for the American dream. What our world calls success. This chokes us out. We become unfruitful. We do not have love, joy, peace, patients, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self control. What we have is a whole lot of dead.

But the seed falling on good soil refers to someone who hears the word and understands it. This is the one who produces a crop, yielding a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown. Matthew 13: 23

Jesus help me be the person that hears the word and understands it. Help me to sow seeds that produce crops so vast I won't fathom the harvest in my lifetime. Help me be obedient to serve as the Holy Spirit leads me, bringing your kingdom to earth. Let me not grow weary, but continue to run the race you set before me. Loving God and Loving people.

No comments: