Thursday, February 19, 2009

So tonight I just really need to vent and since normal people are asleep at 11:30pm, my computer will be my friend. So I scheduled myself to work with my staffing agency two nights this week. Wednesday and Thursday night to be exact. Let me give you some background into the world of agency nursing. When you sign up for a shift, the staffing coordinators call you around 4pm to "confirm" or "cancel" the shift. I usually sleep sometime during the day if I know I have signed up to work that day.

Wednesday I took the girls to school at 9 and then came home to take a nap. Now when I say nap that means I usually sleep like 4 hours so I will be able to stay awake until 7am the next morning. So Wednesday I was waiting on my phone call to say if I was working or not. I don't usually get cancelled, so I was not expecting it that night. I waited, and waited, and my husband says "they are going to cancel you tonight." I asked him how he knew this. Well he pointed out to me the trend with staffing. I had never noticed this before, but when they call me early it means I will be working. When they call me around 5pm it means I will be cancelled. He is so observant that hubby of mine.

I was cancelled. I had slept all day and that meant I was not going to sleep until around 3am. What a waste of time. So today I did it all over again. I slept until the kids got home from school. Tonight I was supposed to work 11pm-7am because they didn't have a shift 7p-7a. The staffing agency confirmed me to work and I got ready, drove up to the hospital, and was told they didn't need me tonight. I am sooooo angry. Now I am going to be up until 3am again and have to try it all over agian tomorrow night. I really wanted to be off on Friday night. I like Friday night at home. Now I have to work and I don't want to. Did I already say that. Yeah I think I did. So here is my ranting for tonight. I am sure the two people who read this blog really wanted to know this. They are going to hear about it in person anyways!

At least now I feel like I have complained to someone besides my husband. He has to hear it by default!

2 comments:

Sarah Mae said...

Oh man, that is a pretty bad system! How are people supposed to function?

Deborah said...

you are right, that is Not cool.